Thursday, October 2, 2008

Today I am 35 Years Old...

...and I have three giant zits. One right smack in the middle of my nose and two on my chin.
Does anyone else think it's a cruel joke by Mother Nature to be 35, with a few wrinkles starting to show here and there, AND zits?

Birthdays become such a funny thing as you age. Except for the monumental ones (which, seriously, why are only the ones that have a zero on the end monumental?) you just kind of roll right through them. And what is worse, you start to not really even care that you're rolling right through them. It used to bother me if the other half didn't make a big deal out my day, but since having children, I don't really care all that much. Now don't get me wrong, if someone wanted to throw me a huge surprise party or buy me a gift I would not complain! No siree bob, this girl loves a good party and gifts! But not getting those things isn't bad either.
And hell, I'll just go buy myself something anyway and call it a birthday present. Shopping therapy does wonders for me any day.

So today I sit here, zits and all, and I look at the fog forming heavily outside my windows. And I am okay. I am 35 years old. I don't feel like it. I don't think I look like it. And that is all good.

I think about that 'where do you think you'll be in 10 years' question people tend to ponder most when in their 20s. I thought I'd have a couple of kids. Check. I thought I'd have a house. Check. Beyond that, I don't think I ever ventured a guess. And yet, I inherently know that this isn't quite how I thought it would all be. But all in all, life is good, and I need to take more time to focus on that than the negative and realize that I have a lot to be thankful for and a lot to look forward to in life.

And fortunately there will be coffee and wine to help get me through it all :)

3 comments:

gwendomama said...

happy birthday, loved friend.

fer said...

Happy Birthday, you! Enjoy!

little miss mel said...

Finally got your blog back on my reader. Phew! Sorry for my absence. :)

Happy Belated girlie!!

Sitemeter