Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm A Nerd, That's Why

I dropped a tired M off at school today.  Mondays are the days the kids meet for a few minutes on the black top before starting school.  A time when the principal talks about the values the kids should exhibit that week; a time to say the pledge with the whole school; a time when names are drawn for recognition of a kind gesture the week before.

M's name has never been called at one of these meetings.  I doubt M's previous teacher ever submitted his name for one of the drawings, frankly, though in fairness I shouldn't say that affirmatively since I don't have proof.

M was in his classroom with his aide and I was walking back to my car as I heard the names and their room numbers called.  And just as I was almost out of earshot I heard it.  'M, A-12!'  And even better...all of the other names had elicited hand claps, but my boys' name elicited claps and a loud 'Woo!' from a boy in the crowd.  I can think of one boy in particular who probably did that, and I'll be sure to pass along my own recognition to his Mommy to make her as proud as I felt for my little guy today.  Yes, I am such a sentimental dork that it made me tear up with pride as I walked to my car.  (and again when I repeated it to my other half--oy!)

Thanks, new teacher, for taking the time to recognize my little man and put his name in that drawing.  The inclusiveness this woman has shown in just a few weeks of school are so huge and honestly took very little effort!  I plan on sending her an email now to let her know how appreciative I am.  Gotta keep the flow of appreciative recognition going!

7 comments:

Daisy Mae said...

Love it! So glad you were there to hear the announcement, applause and cheering. We know how awesome our little ones are, but it sure is nice to know others can see it as well. :)

mjsuperfan said...

That is fantastic. Those little things really matter.

fer said...

That made my day! Here's to a great year!

Cassy said...

I love this! It brought tears to my eyes too..

Valerie Foley said...

I love that teacher, and that kid and your kid and you too.

Man, that was gushy.

Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

Daniel said...

Missing your "voice" and thinking of you.

Sitemeter