Saturday, December 5, 2009

A Time To Reflect...

...on things like snot, fevers, regressive toilet training, parents, and of course...turkeys.

Yes, it has been nearly one month since I last posted.  Where has the time gone?  I have noticed that many of the blogs I follow are also a bit sparse in their posts.  Is it just the holiday season that makes us deviate from our norm, or are you all, like me, dealing with back to back...to back...illnesses and various other craptities, (wow, that word didn't get corrected-hmmm?), and haven't had the brain power to come up with sentences that make a lick of sense to anyone but yourself?

The other half traveled for business the better part of three weeks, during which time M, and subsequently I, came down with strep. Yippee. That ailment never seemed to really right itself and turned into a virus-y, cold thing that all four of us got. Just when I thought we were on the mend, my parents came to visit from Texas and my Dad was quite ill with a bad sinus/upper respiratory infection. We spent Thanksgiving morning at the local ER to fix him up.

I had to get Dad better because that weekend the other half and I had 48 hours of respite during which we drove south to Paso Robles and the Justin vineyard & winery. We stayed in a lovely room there where we felt comfortable enough to not do much of anything.


We took an inadvertently off-road drive in the Prius to the fabulous little town of Cambria.
And out of the 160 wineries in this region, we only tasted at two, Treana and Oso Libre. We went back to our little villa and had in-room massages and then promptly put on pjs, ordered pizza, and fell asleep by 10 pm. It wasn't the romantic, reconnecting trip I'd hoped for, but who feels romantic when they can barely hear for the snot filling up their sinus passages? And I brought flannel jammies, so the other half had to know right off the bat it wasn't going to be that kind of vacation. Ha! But it was really and truly an absolute luxury to sit around in those flannel jammies and read a really good book without little people constantly asking for my attention. Just what the doctor ordered, I'd say!

So now we are one week back from our trip and three of us are still (again?) sick. We are running quite the racket on doctor visit and prescription co-pays.



And M had a rough week at school which should have been our biggest clue that he'd end up with a raging fever last night. But we're hanging in there regardless and plan on making an attempt at some Christmas cheer today.

Here's hoping you and yours are surviving the holidays and all of the germs that seem to come with them!

3 comments:

redheadmomma said...

Hi! I'm over at redheadmomma blog, come find me if you ever feel like. We live in Seattle, but are visiting my parents in Big Sur some point pretty soon, and you made me smile because we're going to be wine tasting in Paso Robles, and we definitely want to get to Justin! Our favorite last time was definitely Tobin James - that place was hoppin'! We stayed last time at the Paso Robles Inn, but I'll check out Justin - didn't know they had places to stay.
take care and hope y'all are feeling much better soon! :)
R

Amber said...

Goodness! Ya'll need to get better and soon. I'm sending you my best getting well vibes.
I'm glad you got a mini vacation in there. They make every thing better!

Mandy said...

Sounds like a great vacation!! I hope you're on the mend. Love the photos!

Sitemeter